The Brief: YouTube is an online video streaming and social media platform.
YouTube is an online video streaming platform that started in 2005. It is now owned by Google.
Some interesting statistics:
- 400 hours of video content is uploaded every minute.
- On average, there are 1,000,000,000 mobile video views per day.
- People watch over 1 billion hours of YouTube videos a day, more than Netflix and Facebook video combined.
- Subscribers: also known as “subs” are the people who follow a YouTube channel.
- YouTuber: a person who makes YouTube videos.
- Dislike button: YouTube is one of only a few mainstream social media platforms to feature a dislike button, allowing users to publicly express when they don’t like a video for any reason.
There are many genres of videos on YouTube including the following:
- Reaction Videos: videos in which someone reacts to something else – usually another video.
- ASMR: videos intended to invoke an autonomous sensory meridian response, which is supposed to resemble a tingling sensation.
- Gaming & Let’s Play: videos featuring video games.
- Music Videos: YouTube is a popular platform for traditional music videos, made by established musicians and up and coming ones.
- Beauty Tutorials: beauty “guru’s” such as James Charles, Patrick Starrr, and NikkieTutorials provide instructions on makeup and beauty.
- Docuseries: homemade and professional documentaries are a common YouTube genre. Shane Dawson is redefining the genre with his series such as The Mind Of Jake Paul and The Secret World of Jeffree Star by creating long-form documentaries exploring pop culture and celebrity.
- Comedy And Memes: these videos are popular on YouTube, especially since Vine shut down.
Safety & Privacy
An account is not required in order to view YouTube videos. An account is required to post videos. YouTube requires account holders to be 18 years old, but a 13-year-old can sign up with a parent’s permission. Videos may include content that is not suitable for children. YouTube, like many social media sites, is notorious for having a comments section that may include trolls, bullying, or mean comments. Basic internet safety and privacy measures can help ensure a positive experience on YouTube.