The Brief: The People's Choice Awards are an annual show honoring the best pop-culture and media of the year, as chosen by a public vote.
Shortly after the 2018 midterm political elections, the people had another chance to make their voice heard through voting, this time for their favorite TV, music, film, and social media creators. At this year’s E! People’s Choice Awards, which aired on Sunday, November 11th, the people elected the winners for a hodgepodge of awards in categories ranging from “Animal Star of 2018” to “Pop Podcast of 2018.”
Award presenters included rising stars, past winners, and crowd favorites like Chrissy Teigen, Jimmy Fallon, Retta, and Busy Philipps. John Legend, Nicki Minaj, Tyga, and Rita Ora gave live musical performances.
This being an awards show, many celebrities were serving looks as they walked the red carpet. Notably, Nicki Minaj wore a multi-buckled lace jumpsuit, Kim Kardashian sported a wavy-lined skintight bodysuit, and Kris Jenner never took off her glamorous diva sunglasses. In men’s fashion, Tyga wore an all-leather suit and Terry Crews rocked a white turtleneck under his suit jacket.
Fans voted on the winners in every category. A complete list of winners can be found here.
- Melissa McCarthy won People’s Icon of 2018.
- Victoria Beckham won the Fashion Icon Award.
- Marvel’s Avengers Infinity War won Movie of 2018.
- Shadowhunters: The Mortal Instruments won Show of 2018.
- Keeping Up With The Kardashians won Reality Show of 2018.
- The Voice won Competition Show of 2018.
- Shawn Mendes won Male Music Artist of 2018.
- Nicki Minaj won Female Music Artist of 2018 and Album of 2018 for Queen.
- The Kpop group BTS won Group of 2018 as well as Song and Music Video of 2018 for their hit “Idol.”
- James Charles won Beauty Influencer of 2018.
- Shane Dawson won Social Star of 2018.
- Serena Williams won Game Changer of 2018.
Other Highlights & Buzz
As it was Veteran’s Day, several awardees honored and thanked those who have served in the U.S. military. In many acceptance speeches, award winners drew attention to the devastating California fires, asking fellow attendees and viewers to donate to relief efforts. A final award was symbolically given to “the state of California” in the wake of these fires, thanking firefighters and relief workers and paying respects to those who have lost their homes and their lives.
Bryan Stevenson won People’s Champion Award for his activism and work towards social and racial justice. After John Legend presented the award with a moving musical performance, Stevenson gave an impassioned speech about hate in the U.S., both past, and present. He encouraged the people to “lift their voices” in search of “more hope, justice, and mercy.”
In her acceptance speeches, Nicki Minaj made comments about how Michael B Jordan would be “taking off” her outfit later that night, and gave a special shout out to Kim Kardashian’s butt.
My boo 😍😍😍 Nicki Minaj mentions 'Kim Kardashian's a**' at People's Choice Awards
— Kim Kardashian West (@KimKardashian) November 12, 2018