The Brief: Travis Scott's popular new hip hop album, ASTROWORLD dives deep into his life of fame, fortune, drug use, love, sex, and more. It's dense with slang and cultural references, so here's a decoded run-down of the key words, songs, and themes in the album.
In 2005, the amusement park Six Flags AstroWorld in Houston, Texas was closed, disappointing many children, including a young Travis Scott. The Houstonian rapper’s latest album is named after the park, and it is a rollercoaster ride of emotions, drugs, Houston tributes, Kylie Jenner, Drake, and more. The album was released on Aug. 6, 2018, and is enormously popular.
All songs on the album are titled in ALL CAPS, and feature artists, including Drake, Pharrell, members of Migos, Frank Ocean, The Weeknd, and Swae Lee.
Slang to Know:
This album is jam-packed with slang – from the mainstream to the obscure. Here are some highlights of the most used and relevant slang in the album to help you know WTF Travis Scott, and kids these days are talking about.
- Drug References: Propane, Lean, Barre, The Plug, E, Caved In, Xans, Booger Sugar, Lines, Rollin, Fried.
- Sexual References: Shawty, Pop It, Pearl Necklace, Piping.
- $$$: Bands, Ice, Drop Top, Rollie, M’s, Yves Saint Laurent, Phantom, Baguettes.
- Misc: Poppin, Hella, Skrrt, Cop, Feen, Ratchet, Creepin, Wu-Tang, Mane, Lit.
Top Tracks on the Album:
ASTROWORLD has fifteen songs, delving into the ins and outs of Travis Scott’s feelings, lifestyle, and relationships.
- STARGAZING narrates a story of having a bad trip, being caved in, thinking about all too much.
- SICKO MODE featuring Drake and Swae Lee is a bop, referring to sicko mode – sort of like beast mode.
- STOP TRYING TO BE GOD features Philip Bailey, Kid Cudi, Stevie Wonder and James Blake. It is a call to be humble among great wealth and power, along with some bragging. And the chorus is quite catchy.
- YOSEMITE is all about excessive wealth.
- CAN’T SAY features Don Toliver and explores what is real – in a world of wealth, drug use, and sex.
Overall, ASTROWORLD is the ultimate, bizarre late-summer album adventure.